Sunday, September 11, 2011

Designing Woman

So, to rip-off my sister, today’s blog is about interior decorating (check out her blog, Cheer's Yall!).  For those who don’t know, my first major in college was Interior Design.  I really enjoyed the design aspect, but I was unhappy with the program and professors so I decided on a change and wanted to let my creative and artistic ventures be a hobby rather than a job.

Well, I never stopped loving design and now that I have my own house, I turn some of my ideas into real life…. Or try to at least, decorating is expensive, y’all!  I think I need to sign up for some of those classes at Home Depot that teach you how to do stuff with power tools so I can really do some of the things I want in a most cost effective way!  Until then, here are some of my favorite things in my house, my decorating ideas, and some of the pictures that inspire me and I hope to bring to life one day.

Off the back of my house, I have a small addition that’s half a utility room and half a sunroom.  Right now the sunroom part is pretty empty, but I’m really going to get working it once I get the roof leak fixed for good!  No sense in ruining my decorating with my current “water feature.”  Here’s what the room looks like right now (I’m going to move that chair back to my living room eventually):



Here’s the inspiration look I’m going for:

Credit: Better Homes and Gardens Online

It’s a little more of a formal look than I’m going to implement, but I really liked the neutral basics and the suble vibrancy of color in the room’s accents.  The room is so sunny, I figured this would make a soothing retreat to relax and read or just watch the crazy birds that dive bomb the bird bath in the yard!


Much like my sunroom, my living room is still a work in progress.  I tried to strike a balance between a warm, homey feel (like the mission style rockers and oriental rug) with some non-cheesy beach inspired elements (the wall color “Southern Breeze” by Behr and woven trunk coffee table).  Even a few vintage touches aquired from my great grandparents, including a restored chest I use as a TV stand, some artwork from Paris, and a very old small chest I use as a side table.



Some of my favorite ideas for decorating:


Use an old found mason jar as a vase and wine corks to make an interesting flower arraignment.  Just take out the fakes and the corks and exchange for the real deal every once in a while!  Use other found or rarely used objects to build upon the display.  This is a sliver service tray that I never use, but brings a little shine and touch of formality.  Add some shells from the Eastern Shore of VA and a small finger bowl with a candle in it to round out the display. 


Repurposing old items is a great way to salvage things you’re tempted to toss in the trash! The lamps on this desk were originally a fabulous 80’s style swirl paint mess!  Well, I spiffed ‘em up with a little decorative paper, paint, and bead trim.  It makes my hard work (or Facebooking) at the computer a little more fun.


Finally, I did some work on my kitchen last fall, and I’ll blog about that another time, but my inspiration stared with 2 cloth napkins I found at World Market for less than $1.  I got the only 2 I could find and knew I’d find a good use for them.  One is draped over a tension rod as a curtain and the other I glued to a plain cork board that holds menus and other trinkets.

1 comment:

  1. I like the leather chair in your living room, too; makes it cozy. I didn't know those were napkins! I follow a blog called Thrifty Decor Chick and she uses napkins for lots of projects too, you people are geniuses!

    ReplyDelete