Thursday, September 1, 2011

Let there be light... and savings!


So I’ve started a little couponing adventure lately.  In the past I would clip them every once in a while, but I never remembered to bring them to the store and didn’t pay attention to the weekly sales and try to match them up.  Well, on my time off this summer, somehow I found myself watching Extreme Couponing on TLC and I thought I’d see if I could get some extreme savings for myself.  Now, I’m not going to go buying 2348234 arthritis creams or cat foods because I can get them for a penny, but I am going to try to see how much I can stretch my savings on the things I do need.

My first couponing trip was about 3 weeks go.  I got something like $60 worth of stuff from CVS for just under $20 and a grocery bill down to $70 from $120.  Ain’t too shabby, huh?!

Well, yesterday I took another trip to CVS and was able to get 2 24-count Ibuprofens, 1 8-pk AAA and 1 10-pk AA Duracell batteries, John Frieda Shampoo, Conditioner, and Frizz Serum, Venus razor blade refills, Orbit gum, lady things, Covergirl foundation and concealer for only $50.  The total retail prior to coupons and extra care bucks was about $75.   If you’re interested in trying couponing at CVS, be sure to scan your Extra Care card at the Red Kiosk/Price Check thing. (Martins has these too).  It’s usually straight ahead when you walk in the door.  You can scan 2-3 times and get all kinds of coupons.  Some are good only for that day, some for a few days, and some for a week.  Lots of good free item coupons.  For a while, I was getting coupons for things for free that I don’t want or need, but I decided to get the stuff anyways (I mean, it’s free!) and I’d donate it to a shelter when I collect some more.

A blog I check for coupon information a lot is Young and Frugal in Virginia.  She's a RIC local so most of her info is based on our stores (which I love!!), but check her out for information on freebies and printable coupons on national brands.

My next trip is going to be to Kroger.  They are A LOT of great Kroger sales this week that coordinate with some good coupons I have.  I haven’t been able to make the trip yet since my power’s been out, but…  MY POWER IS BACK TODAY!!  I don’t want to go full on shopping until later this weekend because I’ve heard that a lot of people’s power has been on and off intermittently while they continue to make repairs.  If figure it’s better to wait until the power is back on for good.  But then again, this is only the start of hurricane season, so I think I’ll be slow in the restocking of my completely EMPTY fridge!

On a final note, I’ve weathered the storm and come out alive on the other side.  I didn’t let go of all technology over the past 6 days, but I didn’t/couldn’t watch TV and I’d consider that a situational triumph.  I’m not a major TV watcher anyways, but I do have my shows.  It feels weird to be sitting on my couch right now with the lights on, the TV on and having internet access.  I think I might pick a week every year and make it a “No TV week.”  It felt good to get outside a little more, meet some new neighbors, and read read read!

No comments:

Post a Comment