Friday, August 26, 2011

Go DJ, cuz that my DJ...


 So this morning I arrive at work and go through my usual motions: pray for the caffeine to kick in soon, check some emails and try to come up with a coherent and semi-intelligent response, and figure out what else I’m going to do for the day.  I’m not quite ready to settle into the “doing” for the day, plus it’s Friday and who actually works on Friday?  I decided blogging would be a more effective use of my time at the moment.

I am blessed to have an office right behind one of the bosses and one chatty secretary.  My iPod and earphones are a necessity when I’m working out of our office instead of one of my schools.  If not, I’ll end up in some convo with the secretary about her elation and my disdain for Sarah Palin, school board politics, or her grandson’s latest finger painting.  So, I plop down in my windowless office I share with 2 other social workers and fire up the tunes.  It got me thinking (I know, watch out!) about my love for music.

If I could have any job in the world, I would want to be the person who makes soundtracks for movies.  I just love music and I love making play lists.  I like to think I make the best play lists and mixed cds (tapes back in the day) and I’d be really good at putting a soundtrack together.  My other choice of dream job would be to be Chelsea Handler’s sidekick (step off Chuy!).  Maybe one day….  In the meantime, I thought I’d give the world a list of some of my favorites and current obsessions.  For your viewing and listening pleasure:

The Best of the Best:
The Detroit Spinners- I’ll Be Around (my all time favorite)
Guns N Roses- November Rain (a very close second)
Al Green- I’m Still in Love with You
Barry White- Can’t Get Enough of Your Love

The Songs that remind me of the Super ’77 Crew and Growing up:
Average White Band- Pick up the Pieces
Boz Skaggs- Ledo & Georgia (controversial song, but Boz is so underrated, he’s da man!)
Bruce Hornsby- Mandolin Rain & That’s Just the Way It Is (good ol’ Virginia boy makes me wish I’d not dropped out of piano lessons)
Carol King- It’s Too Late (I remember listening to my mom’s old record as a kid)
Chairman of the Board- Give Me Just a Little More Time
Four Tops- Baby I Need Your Lovin
Freda Payne- Band of Gold (who knew a song about divorce could be so peppy)
Gladys Knight & The Pips- Midnight Train to Georgia
Isley Brothers- This Old Heart of Mine
Jacki Wilson- Baby Work Out
Elvis- Kentucky Rain
The Temptations- Ain’t Too Proud to Beg, Na na na na Hey hey hey Goodbye
Van Morrison- Mama said There’d be Days Like This, Bright Side of the Road, Domino


Rock:
Beatles- Come Together (the only Beatles song I like, everything else is overrated crap)
Peter Gabriel- In Your Eyes (yes, I’m still waiting on my Lloyd Dobbler moment)
Doobie Brothers- Black Water (I love that pseudo-swampy sound)
Eagles- Hotel California
Foo Fighters- Best of You (because Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins are just hot!)
Janis Joplin- Take Another Little Piece of My Heart
Kenny Loggins- St. Elmo’s Fire
Live- I Alone
Red Hot Chili Peppers- Under the Bridge
Rolling Stones- Angie
Stone Temple Pilots- Interstate Love Song


Rap:
Eminem- My Name Is (I mean, he’s white and he raps, what’s not to like)
Naughty By Nature- OPP
Snoop Dogg- Ain’t Nothing But a G Thing (welcome to the world gangster rap, you’ve found an unlikely place in a preppy white girl’s heart)
Trey Songz- Say Aah (another VA boy)
J-Kwon- Tipsy (‘Erbody drunk out on the dance floor…)
504 Boys- Bling Bling (my first taste of Weezy, I fell in love)
50 Cent- In Da Club
Jay Z- Money Ain’t A Thang, My First Song, On To the Next One, 99 Problems
Weezy- On Fire, One Way Trip (say what you want, the man is an innovator and he’s a hell of a lot smart than most people think… plus, he’s got face tats, fierce!)


Country/ Bluegrass:
Hank Williams, Jr- The Blues Man
John Fogerty- Blue Moon of Kentucky
Johnny & June- Long-legged Guitar Pickin Man
Little Feet- Dixie Chicken (saw then in concert with Doobie, it was awesome)
Loretta Lynn- Honky Tonk Girl (her first and best!)
Lynard Skynard- Simple Man
Mark McGuinn- Mrs Steven Rudy (I remember blasting this song with my sister Courtney and I still love it)
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band- Fishin in the Dark
Ralph Stanley- Mountain Dew
Trace Adkins- Rough & Ready
Travis Tritt- Love of a Woman
Willie Nelson- Songbird
Zac Brown Band- Free (live remix)
The Band Perry- If I Die Young (very touching and sad song)
Jason Aldean- Dirt Road Anthem, Amarillo Sky
Alabama- Mountain Music (I love when that fiddle fires up!)
Allison Krauss- I’ll Fly Away (I’m not one for religious music, but I love her version)
Jack White- Wayfaring Stranger


The Best of the Rest:
Bob Marley- Could You Be Loved
EW&F- September (reminds me of my girl Les-a-leeeee
Michael Jackson- PYT
Oasis- Don’t Look Back in Anger
Adele- Someone Like You (love love love Adele!)
The Darkness- I Believe in a Thing Called Love (just gets you pumped up!)

No comments:

Post a Comment