Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Weathering the Storm


Wednesday Morning
Still no power this morning, but I had to return to work.  I guess that's not too bad a thing, at least work has power and internet.  Getting work-ready in the mostly dark this morning was interesting.  I didn't turn out half bad though my hair looks a hot mess right now.  I decided to get a hair cut this afternoon, because at least that blow out can last a day or two and I won't have to worry about washing my hair!!  Still no Dominion truck sighting in my neighborhood... not even a city truck.
Okay, off to do some actual work... maybe.

This is from yesterday when the power was out and no internet access anywhere, so I couldn't post, but I thought you'd want to know my nonsense thoughts of the day...

Tuesday Morning

Still no work today, the two schools I work at had no power when I drove by yesterday, so who knows when we’ll be back.  Yesterday, the whole neighborhood got a call from Dominion around 3 saying our power was restored… oh the lies they tell!  No only was our power still out, but the trees and the power lines were all still on the ground, and no Dominion truck had even showed face in my neighborhood.  Oh well, here’s to hoping we get it some time this week.  They said by Friday everyone in this area should have their power back.  Well, it’s only Tuesday and Friday feels like a lifetime from now!

All that aside, I consider this my personal challenge in self-sufficiency.  Last night I fired up the grill and had a small feast (no I didn’t eat it all, I shared).  2 Omaha steaks, about 2 dozen shrimp, and some fresh tomatoes.  Paula Dean would be proud of me, I even melted a little butter for my shrimp in a can on the grill!  That was the last of my cold food that I couldn’t bring myself to throw away, so grill it I must!  Now I’m left with chips and salsa, cereal, and power bars.  Thank you jebus that the shopping center a few blocks away has power, an open Starbucks, and a fully stocked grocery story.  Looks like I’ll be making some trips up to the store this week!

I decided to venture up to Starbucks (after dropping my car off for some repairs next door) to get a little Java Chip Frapp, charge my electronics, and people watch.  And what good people watching it is! So far I’ve seen The Grandtastic Billy Hupp, a teacher from work, my neighbor, and made a new friend.  Unfortunately that new friend happens to be an old lady and no some hot young hipster dude.  Never the less, Starbucks friends always make for randomly good conversation.  Then enter the douche in the seersucker suit. PIC.  I’m all for seersucker, how classic southern, but to me, a full seersucker suit is for weddings and dressier occasions, not a Tuesday at the office (or Starbucks with your kids).  Jim Duncan (one of our local weather men) was here just now.  I wanted to go up to him and demand to know why they made this storm out to be NBD… but then I realized it’s not his fault the weather does what it does, so I let the other patrons accost him instead. 

I’m so bored, I feel like I have nothing and everything to write about today!  Since there’s no internet access anywhere, this is still being written in a word document to be posted later!  As I’m writing I keep thinking about that Office ep when Ryan sets Creed up with a “blog” that’s really just a word document on their server.  My thoughts aren’t as shocking as Creed’s, but they are equally irrelevant to life.

Okay, I’ve been sitting here for an hour, time to sign off!

No comments:

Post a Comment