Saturday, August 27, 2011

I can't stand the rain...


How do you know Missy Elliot is from coastal Virginia?  Her first song, "I Can't Stand the Rain," is clearly about this dang hurricane!  Well, maybe not, but I sure can't stand the rain!  Oh Irene, what are you going to do to us?

All this hurricane bid-ness got me thinking about storm essential kits.  The last time we had a significant hurricane in Richmond, I was living with some friends in the West End and I think we just got hammered and partied and didn’t realize we might need to get some essentials.  Well, being the forgetful person that I am, it didn’t occur to me that I should get some extra batteries for my flashlights, extra candles, or water until yesterday.  Well, I went to 5 stores and either none had any at all or were so crowded I couldn’t even get in.  Oh well, hopefully the batteries currently in my flashlight will last if need be and I guess I’ll just light all of my small scented candles and my house will smell like a Yankee Candle store.  Luckily I have a case of bottled waters that I bought a while ago and never really touched and plenty of non-perisable easy to eat foods.  So to hell with a proper storm kit… here’s an Anne’s Storm Kit:

1 Bottle Firefly vodka
1 package powdered lemonade mix
A few bottles of water (for mixing the lemonade, duh!)
Large Tervis tumbler

Charged iPod and laptop and collection of funny movies
A good book

Jar of peanut butter
1 Package chocolate chips
spoon
Chips & salsa

A good pair of wellies (bought the last pair from Target on Thursday)


I might be stuck in the dark or whatever meager light my flashlight can put out, but I’ll be entertained, fed, and drunk!  It’s 11:30 and the wind has started to pick up, the lights have flickered a few times, we’re completed soaked, and the eye of Irene isn’t even supposed to get close to Richmond/VA areas until late this evening.  I woke up thinking this was no big deal, but I’m a tad nervous for what the day might bring.  Oh well, at least if the power goes out, I’ve got several friends within walking distance from my house!

Stay safe everyone!

1 comment: